Home About Me My Faith Contact Me Work with Me PR Mummy from the Heart

Sunday 18 September 2011

Eric Carle's New Book Review: The Artist who Painted a Blue Horse

If I said to you Eric Carle?  Would the name mean anything to you?  For me I would think it familiar but would not be able to put my finger on why. Say to me The Very Hungry Caterpillar and then it would click.  Ah yes the guy who did that amazing children's book, the international best-selling author!

Well there is good news for Eric Carle fans as he is just releasing his first new picture book for four years. The Artist Who Painted A Blue Horse is being published by Puffin in hardback on 4th October 2011 and we were sent a copy to review.
If you know your art you will recognise that the paintings are inspired by the work of the great Expressionist painter Franz Marc. For me this book is all about the art and it would suit a family who are very visual and enjoy being creative. The book is described as a celebration of creativity and colour. Eric Carle will inspire young artists everywhere to use their imagination.

I gave the book to my 4 year old twins, thinking they would enjoy it and we did have a chat about the paintings and whether we would like to see a purple fox or orange elephant in real life.  They sat engaged for a few moments and both agreed that the polka dotted donkey was their favourite but then they moved away.  I put this down to them being too old for the book as there are very few words and not really much of a story if I am honest. My 8 year old literally flicked through the book and reported that it was for babies.

I am not sure what age this book is aimed at, I expect if my girls were younger and were just learning their colours and animals then this might have been used more but for two 4 year olds who are hungry for information and good stories it just did not cut it for them. So sadly the book was not a big hit at our house but perhaps if you are more cultured than us and enjoy a good visual book and some superb artwork then this will be for you.  One thing to note if you are looking to get this book for younger children is that whilst it is hardback the pages are actually paper and could therefore rip easily.

Like I said though it is very beautiful and the paintings are super quality.


Disclosure:  We received a copy of this book for the purposes of this review.  I was not instructed what to write and I remian honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, I will respond real soon. Mich x