Whilst my kitchen now is one step further towards the dream kitchen, I still have a long way to go. The long-term aim is to have a kitchen which is large enough to have a central island and also for it to be open plan onto a family area so everyone can be in one large space but doing separate things. Whilst it might be practical to have closed off rooms, it is so much more friendly to have open-plan living and I really do believe that the kitchen is at the heart of the home.
So what do you think of that kitchen above? I think this is pretty close to my ideal kitchen - some wood for warmth, use of the beautiful duck egg blue paint, built-in discreet appliances and of course stunning silestone worktops.
Have you heard of silestone worktop? You might not of, I found it was only when I started to look at new kitchens that I learnt just how versatile it is. I'll share with you my top 5 reasons why I believe you should consider silestone for your kitchen work surfaces -
- Tough - Silestone is an engineered stone, it is made with 94% natural quartz stone particles that are bonded together with resin, this creates a unique stone which is super resilient. It will withstand scratches, knocks, things being dropped on it, stains, scolds and mould too. What more could you ask for with a growing family?
- Hygienic - When Silestone is made it has silver ions infused into it and this gives it a unique bacteriologic properties, so that when the ions impact with bacteria they inhibit its ability to multiply. Tests find that after several hours there will be fewer bacteria on a piece of silestone, than on a natural piece of marble. I love the piece of mind this gives me as a busy mum.
- Design variety - As silestone is an engineered product there are so many different colours and patterns to choose from, over sixty in fact. You can have the classic smooth white, right through to bright red and of course there is always room for a sparkly silver flecked black one too (my personal favourite). There is something to suit every design.
- Consistent - As well as there being a fantastic colour choice, you can also choose the texture to suit your design and family. Silestone comes in high gloss, suede for the softest feeling stone and volcano for something a little more rugged looking. It is brilliant that Silestone is uniform and you can have an ascetically pleasing kitchen without any of the normal blemishes that natural stone can suffer with.
- Slick - Silestone will give you a really sleek look in your family kitchen. Again as it is engineered it means it can be manipulated more easily and this means that curves and unusual bends in your kitchen should be no problem. It is quite common to see a stylish integrated silestone sink for this inclusive streamlined look.
I bet you are sold now aren't you? Do make sure you check our silestone when you are planning your kitchen refit.